Friday, September 11, 2009

Thursday in Kenya

After looking quickly through my last 2 posts, I'm come to realize just how little I'm able to tell you about what we are doing. Posting about Thursday will be no different. We started the day by taking 150 of the oldest kids to the top of the tallest building in downtown Nairobi. From there you can see all of the major landmarks, but it was too dusty to see Mt. Kenya unfortunately. We arraigned to have sodas brought all the way up for each of the kids and they truly loved seeing the city from a bird's perspective, not to mention sitting on the helipad. Thanks Chris and Lynn for supporting this!
After sending the kids back to school on the very crowded buses, we headed to the textbook center to buy more books. This is something I look forward to each year and this year we were able to buy $250 worth of next books for the Form 4 classes (12th grade), which will be starting in January. So many things are still needed for these kids, but having books is a great start.

The children also had sports day for more than 2 1/2 hours in the afternoon. Normally on Friday's, sports day involved all of the 300 children going to a field for games such as musical chairs, balloon popping, soccer, and races. All of the 300 kids wore their new shirts for sports day and it was certainly an amazing sight to see.

Seeing the joy on these kids faces all day long was a huge blessing. Below is a picture I toke on Wednesday, and certainly there are hundreds more. Unfortunately the electricity has already gone out once, so this is all I'll be able to post today. I'll do my best to post more before I leave for home.





Kari

No comments: